Friday, August 29, 2008

New Wave of Protests in Egypt

I found the following article, from Arabia online, real depressing.

No it has nothing to do with Zamalek Football team results or Celine Dion retirement rumors, it is about teens & women protesting against a sermon of an imam.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for freedom of speech & the right to demonstrate, and I'm all for protesting against a lot of rubbish said by so called imams, but I just wished that those protesters would have found a more worthy cause. Well, I guess it is not too surprising once we find out that the protest took place in Marina, on Egypt's Northern coast.

Read for your self and let me know what you think:

Demonstrations in Marina in response to Imam
(article is in Arabic, so for non-Arab readers, the article is about a protest by Egyptian girls and women vacationing in the posh resort of Marina, against an imam who ridiculed Noor & Mohanad, the leading characters of the Turkish soap opera Noor, which is very popular throughout the Arab world)

In a previous post The Otherside of El Alamein I did speculate that there are two very different Egypts, a pleasant one for the rich and another-not so pleasant, to say the least- one for the poor. This article just proved my point. Thank you Arabia.

No comments: