Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Night

Tonight, Jon Stewart, host and executive producer of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, will be host the 80th Academy Awards. "I'm thrilled to be asked to host the Academy Awards for the second time because, as they say, the third time's a charm," said Stewart.

I've stopped getting excited about the Oscars a long time ago. I don't understand the logic behind picking the nominees and I usually don't agree with the choices of winners. The movies are not what they use to be. Moreover, the field of artistic talent is getting smaller and smaller that it is hard to remember when was the last time I watched and enjoyed an unforgettable performance that left me crying like the toddler in the airplane (see Cherchez Le Bro).

There are no more Hepburns (Audrey or Katharine), no Lees or Davis's, no more Kellys or Crowfords. Nowadays, most actresses go to the same plastic surgeon, and dress from the same fashion houses, making it harder for me to tell them apart. I like Gwyneth Paltrow's cause she reminds me of the Kelly's grace (pun intended), but I think the best actress nowadays is Cate Blanchett, who won best supporting actress for her brilliant performance as Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator. Did you know that her first screen appearance was as an extra in Ahmed Zaki's Kaborya? I hope she wins the best actress award tonight even though I did not watch Elizabeth, but I am sure she did a great job.

The men's field is not much better. If Clooney can win an Oscar (let me make it very clear that I have nothing whatsoever against Clooney's looks, but he cannot act), then I rest my case. Ya, ya, Al Pacino and De Niro are amazing, but they belong to a previous generation (that I adore) which included good looking and very talented actors. Well, I cannot talk about good looking leading men without mentioning Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Brad Bitt, and Di Caprio. Oh my, where was I ?? Where am I??? Must have suffered from a brief "Good Looks Coma". Since I did not watch any of the movies, I will regrettably (not really) go by looks. This eliminates Day-Lewis & Tommy Jones and we are left with Johnny Depp, Viggo Mortensen, & hunky Clooney. I've just told you what I think of George's acting skills, so Jonny or Viggo are fine by me.

Enjoy the show.

This was added after the show: I am 0 out of 3. What did you expect? Told you I did not watch any of the movies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it time for everyone to realize that nothing is much about anything except money..... I agree with you about the talentless nominees, even the good looking ones, but Oscars have not been about rewarding talents, it is about generating millions and millions and many more millions to businesses. Sad but true, after all even Elissa was nominated as the best Arab singer for two years in a row, and I would love to see a hint of talent in her singing or voice, but I bet the magazines, photographers, restaurants, tv channels did not mind that, as long as they got paid. I guess I am your most skeptical reader, hope it does not annoy you.
Ani