Friday, February 15, 2008

Pay It Forward

Pay It Forward is one of my most favorite movies. Although it is a 2000 production, I did not hear of it until 2002 when my kids rented it for me to watch with them. They had already watch it earlier, and they knew that I would love it and that I would enjoy a good cry, especially during the last two hours of this two hours and three minutes movie (does that mean they think I am a drama queen??? ma 3alaina).

Although, as some of you already know, I am an established movie critic with two excellent reviews of two movies I've not watched yet, I will resist the urge to critique this movie (although I have actually watched this one at least four times) and I will concentrate on the idea behind it (based on a novel by Catherine Ryan Hyde).

For his social studies project which required coming up with an idea to make our world a better place, an 11-year old student suggests Paying it Forward. That is, for every kind act one receives, one should pay a kind act forward to three different people, and not pay it backward to the first person. Each of the three new recipients should do the same to three new people and so on.

Too Utopian? May be. But very doable. Why don't we all try it, even once in our lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be on the lookout for the film. I'm not into these genres of themes myself, so I'll reserve my criticism until I do. And I won't spare you if I find it too noble and overflowing with the "milk of human kindness".